About the System
The Ephrata Borough Authority operates two Wastewater (Sewer) Treatment Plants that serve residents in five local municipalities. The Borough of Ephrata is the contract manager for the Ephrata Borough Authority Wastewater System.
Plant number one was built in 1938, and was expanded in 1966, 1983, and again in 1997 to treat 3.8 million gallons of flow per day. Plant one serves residents in Akron Borough, Clay Township, Ephrata Borough, and Ephrata Township. In 2012, Plant One was upgraded to meet stricter nutrient removal requirements.
Four municipalities, Denver Borough, Ephrata Borough, East Cocalico Township, and Ephrata Township joined efforts to complete plant two in 1998. This plant has a treatment capacity of 2.3 million gallons per day. The facility was built at a cost of $14.5 and features state of the art equipment.
Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition
The operating system of Plant Two is a Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) computer system. This automated system monitors wastewater from the time it enters the plant until it leaves a chlorine contact tank on its way to the nearby Cocalico Creek.
Autothermal Thermophilic Aerobic Digestion
It also features an Autothermal Thermophilic Aerobic Digestion (ATAD) system that uses insulated tanks, air and heat to produce Class "A" biosolids. Class "A" biosolids or residual is safe enough to be recycled and disposed of for everyday compost uses. The sewer flows from Denver Borough, East Cocalico Township and a portion of Ephrata Township are treated at plant two.
The Borough maintains a sewer collection system that brings the wastewater to the plants. The collection system includes eight pumping stations located throughout the collection area that provide for the flow of wastewater to the plants.